07 August 2010

Really? No, really?

So, there is a new version of the satirical Preppy Handbook coming out. Um yeah, hilarious. The author is taking credit for "preppy"? Yeah, OK. I know so many people who could be considered "preppy", ( a Trinity graduate, ancestor on Mayflower, summers in Maine, went on a grand tour, or, a Kent educated, Yale undergrad, Revolutionary War ancestors, lives in New Canaan; and others) who didn't know what the Preppy Handbook was until I told them about it, (and when they heard, they laughed). I guess this new book is going to be a step by step manual on how to get the new "I went to preparatory school" look. Yeah, you can get the look, but you have to be born into it to actually be one, (and you are not let in, you are already in). Plus, I saw J.Crew listed in there, uh, blehk, (J.Crew carries X-Small for men, can you say hipster?) So I guess "True Prep" is faux prep. You don't need a handbook to be yourself.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. Agreed. I actually like J.Crew. Just consider the type of people who publish books such as 'True Prep' or write about preps in NYC-based media. Enough said.

    ReplyDelete